Monday 25 April 2016

The Face Shop Hwansaenggo Escargot Golden Firming Gel Mask Review

Hey everyone :)

 Lately my skin has been dull and has also been breaking out a little bit as well as being kind of dry. I think the changing seasons has been a little harsh on my skin. So they last time I was at The Face Shop I picked up some masks to see if they helped at all. One of the masks I picked up was the Escargot Golden Firming Gel Mask. It is a single use mask and retails for $8 CAD. The Face Shop was having a VIP event and I'm a sucker for snail products so I couldn't resist. In this line there was also a bird's nest mask for brightening and a matching eyepatch that was also a part of the escargot series. I picked up one of each of those too but have not used them yet.


   This mask claims to firm and to provide vitality to the skin as well as to promote elasticity. This mask contains snail mucus extract as well as 24K gold. it is a two piece gel sheet mask. So there is a piece that covers the top half of the face and then a second piece that covers the bottom of your face. One side of the mask seems to have almost a very tight and thin mesh on one side and the other is a layer of gel which is pretty moisturizing feeling and has some liquid gel on it as well. The mask sheet is actually a metallic gold. Gold is sometimes used in high end skin care because it is supposed to promote blood circulation. Snail mucus is very moisturizing and is good for all skin types. Acne prone skin loves snail mucus as does dry and sensitive skin as it moisturizes well and is full of tons of good natural nutrients.
 This mask is very cooling. I think this would be great in the summer if you popped it in the fridge for a little while before you used it. The instructions say to leave the mask on for 20-40 minutes after cleansing. I always wash my face, exfoliate and then tone before using a mask for maximum results. I also left it on longer than 40 minutes so that I could get the full benefits of the mask. Below is a photo of me wearing the mask, I had just showered so ignore my wet hair haha.


  The fit of this mask okay but it fits a little awkwardly around my eyes. I think I should note that this mask does have a pretty strong fragrance. It is a floral scent. I can't smell it too much once it's been on my face for a few minutes but if you are allergic to fragrances then you may not like it. My neck does get a little itchy where the mask meets it but my face feels fine. So I am not 100% sure if it is the mask or not. I personally believe that it is not the contents of the mask but the backing material that the mask is on. That sort of very thin material that I am not sure what it is made of. It isn't a huge bother but I thought that it should be noted for the sake of a totally complete and honest review. I also have quite sensitive skin so keep that in mind.
  There are a few ingredients that are potential acne triggers but most of them, such as fragrance, are pretty low on the list. This is an anti-aging mask so there are also some good moisturizing ingredients such as collagen and glycerin.
   I wore this mask for a full hour. When I took of the mask sheet I could see that the physical gel had actually gotten a bit thinner as it had absorbed into my skin. The Raspberry Roots eye mask from the Face Shop (one of my favourites) does this as well. After the mask, my skin definitely felt firmer and looked healthier and dewier. The mask absorbed well without any greasy feeling and my skin was left very soft. I do think that this mask delivers on its promises.
  Would I buy this again? Maybe. I think that this is a pretty good mask but personally I think you can get masks that are just as good or almost as good for a lower price. I also don't really need anti-aging and firming so much at this point in my life right now. I guess it is better to prevent than to try and fix something when it's too late though haha. The Real Nature masks from the Face Shop are only $2 each and a lot of those are very effective. Also my all time favourite gel mask from the Face Shop is the Real Nature Hydro Gel Green Tea Mask which is just so good. That mask is $7 but it really is refreshing and brightening and feels amazing in the summer.
  For this mask though, I think if you are looking for a firming or anti-aging mask and want something that feels refreshing then this may be for you. Part of the reason for the higher price tag is because it is a part of the more prestigious anti-aging line that the Face Shop carries. If you are more acne-prone or are sensitive to fragrances then this may not be for you. I found that it was okay for me in general but I think that this one does not suit acne-prone skin so much. I do recommend trying this mask if you are looking for something anti-aging, it did not disappoint me in texture or performance. If you try it let me know what you think :)

    Things I liked:  - Very cooling
                             -  Moisturizing
                             -  Mask sheet is a interesting colour
                             - Absorbs very well
                             - Firming
                             - Provides soft and smooth skin

Things I disliked: - Heavy fragrance
                             - On the more expensive side for a single use mask
                             - Contains potential acne triggers

Rating:  3/5  

This review was unsponsored and the product was purchased with my own money.

No comments:

Post a Comment